Home Resources FEMA and Residential Insurance Coverage

FEMA and Residential Insurance Coverage


Under FEMA’s National Flood Insurance Program, flood protection is available to homeowners and renters. However, much like any other insurance policy, rates vary depending on if qualify, how much insurance is purchased, and your risk factor.

For a homeowner or renter to qualify for FEMA’s National Flood Insurance Program, they must live in a NFIP qualified community. These communities are ones that fall into a specific flood zone and have taken the proper precautions against widespread flood damage.

For the most part, homeowners and renters who reside in moderate to low-risk areas can qualify for flood insurance. For those in moderate to low-risk area, a Preferred Risk Policy premium is the lowest form coverage one can purchase. However, if you live in a high-risk area for flooding, the standard rated policy is the only choice you have. The standard rated policy will cover coverage for both separate buildings and contents.

In order to calculate your premium, one must look at several factors:

  • Your flood zone
  • Building’s year of construction
  • How many people reside in the building
  • Number of floods in building
  • Location of contents
  • The detuctable you choose

Homeowners should also be aware of what is covered under FEMA’s National Flood Insurance Program:


  • Structual damage
  • Plumbing and electrical
  • Furnance, water heater, or central air unit
  • Stove, refrigerators, dishwasher
  • Carpet, cabinets, wallboard, paneling, windows
  • Garage


  • Clothing, furniture, electrical equipment
  • Air conditioners, microwave
  • Washers and dryers
  • Valuable items such as artwork
  • Basements,crawl spaces, and similar areas are limited in their coverage.

One should note that there are restrictions to the insurance as the following is not covered or limited in its coverage: